Monday, June 26, 2006

Amsterdam to Copenhagen


Well, I have 15 minutes to get this post in before my net time runs out (I am perpetually racing the clock). I picked up my flight to Stockholm in Amsterdam and arrived early enough to just miss the Arlanda express that would get me to the station just in time for my train to Copenhagen, as I predicted, but it never mattered, because to validate the pass at Stockholm Station I had to wait about 100 places for my number to be called. And of course, The ticket people took my railpass in back for about 15 minutes and I thought they were going to tell me it was no good. In fact, the format was invalid for some reason, but they modified it so it's now a working railpass.

So I was in time to get my ticket that I reserved for Oslo to Stockholm next week, but what's with the 2:20 train to Copenhagen? Completely booked. I will have to wait and take my chances with the 3:45 which gets in 3 hours after the 2:20 train. I really don't want to take the later train and my only option is a first class upgrade for about $80 CDN, so I take the option. The ride is nice, the car is clean, I get a light snack with a can of light beer, and pretty soon the extensive travel has left me light-headed. I am comfortable, that much I can say, but I need sleep. The train arrives in Malmo, which is just across the water from Denmark, still in South Sweden. I have time to tyake some pictures, and then I board the train, which turns out to be the wrong section of the train, which turns out to be the wrong train altogether! My image of Scandinavian efficiency is shattered. I arrive, finally, in Copenhagen at about 8:06pm and find my hostel easily. I'm in a crowded, co-ed, 8-bed room. I'm happy to have a place to crash, but I'm looking forward to having my own room starting Thursday night on the boat.

I went walking around the downtown area here in Copenhagen near the hostel, found a good dinner and half litre of beer at the Apollo Brewery (Rick Steves' recommendation), and now I am off to catch some shut-eye. Apologies for the rush, hope everyone's well!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home